Expand your Mind ~ Visit a Museum
The Consortium of Southern Yosemite Museums invites you to take an educational, family oriented and fun filled journey into the past and discover the many treasures of the region.
- Stop by the 110 year old Coarsegold Historic Museum, brimming with artifacts and history including an old school house with authentic furnishings.
- In Oakhurst, see first hand how the early pioneers lived and dressed by visiting; The Fresno Flat’s Laramore Lyman House Museum where you can learn candle dipping and rope making, and step back in time with the vintage clothing and accessories exhibits for men, women and children and war memorabilia dating from the 1790's through the 1990's at The Wild Wonderful King Vintage Clothing Museum.
- Visit The Children’s Museum for fun-filled hands-on activities for all ages.
- Visit The Little Church on the Hill, the only house of worship in this area for nearly fifty years.
- Visit The Thornberry Museum and ride The Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad with majestic views of the Sierra National Forest.
- Discover the riches of the mining era, and see amazing exhibits such as the “Fricot Nugget”, a rare, 13 pound crystalline gold specimen at The California State Gem & Mineral Museum.
- In North Fork, visit the first museum, Sierra Mono Museum, operated by an Indian tribe and opened in 1971 to preserve the culture and heritage of the Sierra Mono Indians. In addition see the Tettleton Wildlife Collection of over 200 free-standing animal dioramas of North and South America, Asia, and Europe.
- In Raymond, see the The Charles Miller House, built in 1886, listed on the California Registry of Historic Places, and the home of the Raymond Museum. Step into the original board and batten homestead house and learn the secret of why between 1886 and 1946 "all roads led to Raymond."
- In Shaver Lake visit the Museum of the Central Sierra.
Find out how the city of Coarsegold got its name, and why the town of Fresno Flats changed its name to Oakhurst.
A trip to the beautiful mountain region of Southern Yosemite is sure to delight the young and young at heart, it will also create a wealth of wonderful memories that our family will treasure for a lifetime.
We are looking forward to your visit!!
Consortium of Southern Yosemite Area Museums
P.O. Box 303
Oakhurst, CA 93644
Email the Consortium